Monday, July 30, 2007

Not afraid to be a diverse person

In one word how would you describe yourself? Not an easy one to answer is it? I was recently asked that question in a job interview and my answer was "diverse". I am an extremely diverse person. Lets think back to a time soon after I bought my first CD player. I remember going into the store and in one hand I had Debbie Gibson's Electric Youth and in the other Hank Williams, Jr.'s Greatest Hits Volume 3, not exactly similar. I have been to the following concerts; Alabama, Lionel Richie, Ice Cube, KISS, Michael Jackson, Garth Brooks, Ice T, The Spice Girls, Hank Jr, Ozzy Osbourne, Vanilla Ice, Rick Spingfield, John Mellencamp, and Lynyrd Skynyrd to name a few. I enjoy a good debate about politics then like to discuss what is going on in the WWE. I love college football but also enjoy America's Next Top Model (I still say Mercedes should have won season 2). Here are some of my favorite movies; Star Wars(all 6), Smokey and the Bandit, Pretty Woman, Batman Begins, Pirates of the Caribean, Remember the Titans, Aladdin, The Emperor's New Groove, Undercover Brother, Friday After Next, New Jack City, BettleJuice, Willie Wonka(the original), Polar Express, Primal Fear, and Seven. Now how does that relate to the 'professional' world? Well I am a manager and the more I can relate to my team the better. I can have a conversation with just about everyone about a variety of subjects. I am not saying everyone should like everything but I find in my life that being open to new things is cool. Try it you may like it and hey don't be afraid to admit you like something that isn't exactly what society deems you should like because you are a man or a woman or over 30 or under 18 or whatever.

No comments: