Wednesday, September 19, 2007

ECW / Smackdown!

Last night I attended the ECW / WWE Smackdown! tapings at Philips Arena in Atlanta. I would not have gone had my friend not called with free tickets he won from Project 9-6-1. The seats were awesome, 4th row floor. I didn't care much about Smackdown! as I have not watched the show in several months. I really wanted to see the ECW show that comes on LIVE at 10:00pm on Sci-Fi. Well I walk into the arena and I hear the introduction for Extreme Expose and I was like huh? it is only 8 something. Well it seems they now tape ECW and then show it at 10:00pm on Sci-Fi instead of going live at 10:00pm like they were. I was none too happy about this situation. Honestly I may not have gone at all had I known that since I knew I was going to be late.

During the night we got to experience Teddy Long and Kristal's 'wedding', pretty stupid overall yet there were some funny parts. Looking at the groomsmen, Butch Reed and Ron Simmons, I thought back to Starrcade '89 when they wrestled as Doom. Then Kristal fell going up the steps and had to be helped into the ring. The best part was when they asked if anyone objected and The Godfather's music hit. That was funny especially when he left because all of the male wrestlers in the congregation left with him and his uhh "ladies". Near the end of the wedding skit the crowd started chanting "we want wrestling" as that is what we came to see.

The wrestling over all was ok, the coolest thing all night was seeing Rey Mysterio acknowledge this little kid on his dad's shoulders that was dressed just like Rey. It was cool because not only did he point to him he gave him a huge smile, big ups to Rey for that one. You could tell it made that kid's day.

I was going to leave early but since they announce The Undertaker would be there I waited since it is just cool to see his entrance. Overall not bad but I must say I am glad I didn't have to pay for the tix.

The WWE really has lost much of what it once had, too much story not enough substance. I remember when you would go to Philips for a Smackdown! or a RAW and you couldn't get tickets, last night they blocked off the entire upper level. Nuff Said!

No comments: