Monday, January 12, 2009

Burger King and Church Thoughts

Last week I ate at Burger King; as I munched on my Angry Whopper I thought about church. At one point I was the ONLY customer in the joint. No one in the drive thru, no one in line, just me. Now it ain't like I was there at 3:00pm, I was there at about 12:45pm or so which is lunch time right? I looked across the street to see a Wendy's that was packed and Arby's that was doing a boomin' business and here I was in the "Home of the Whopper" pretty much by myself (by this time two other people came in to eat but still). I work only about 1/2 mile from this BK and this was the first time I had visited them. In contrast I have gone to Chik-Fil-A, Philly Connection, Quiznos, Smoothie King, and this Mexican spot on many occasions. Why? Well they all have made a choice to dig into the surrounding businesses. They drop off coupons with our HR department, they run regular specials, heck Chik-Fil-A will even deliver to us. BK nothing. They subscribe to the "Field of Dreams" philosophy of build it and they will come. As I sat there (in an empty store) enjoying my Angry Whopper it stuck me this is exactly how some churches operate. Many churches think 'here we are, people should come in and accept Christ.' It doesn't seem to work quite like that now does it? When I attend community events near my house in Jefferson I see about three or four churches every time. Yet there are no less than 20 churches within 5 miles of my house. I wonder why more churches do not invest in their surrounding areas. Community events happen all of the time which brought me to this question. Why do churches think people will just show up on Sunday when the church refuses to show up Monday through Saturday?

No comments: