Friday, July 25, 2008

21 the movie vs. the book

Ok let me set this stage first. I usually do not read books that hollywood makes into movies. Most books I read are non-fiction business or leadership books with some biographies. I have had many people talk to me about movies that say the book was better than the movie. My answer had always been "if I don't read the book than what do I care?". The first movie I saw that I had first read the book was the Harry Potter series. The last HP movie was good but not as good as the book. I understood due to the length of the book. I mean there was no way possible they could have incorporated everything into the movie. Fast forward to last night. If you read a previous post of mine I recently completed the book that the movie 21 was based, Bringing Down the House. The book was very good. One of my favorie reads. It is a true story yet is written like a novel. I watched the movie last night with the expectation of seeing the book come to life. Umm it didn't exactly come to life for me. Lets just say it was a far cry from the book. They changed so much it was crazy. I mean c'mon even the motivation for the main character was inaccurate. I guess it was ok if you haven't read the book. However having read the book I wanted so much more.

No comments: