Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Dukefest 2008


30 years and counting since The Dukes first hit our TV screens. I remember watching it every Friday night before my parents watched Dallas on CBS. This was before VCRs were readily available to everyone so the only way I could tape my show was with a cassette player. Yes I did that, I would put the tape player next to the TV, record Dukes of Hazzard then listen to it over and over. I loved the show. I loved the General Lee. When the DVD box sets first hit I bought them on the first Tuesday they were out. I remember when Bo and Luke left to go pursue a racing career leaving us with Coy and Vance. I remember Enos going to California. I even had a bassett hound named Flash at one time. Fast forward to today and the picture to the left. Here you see my dad who is over 70, myself over 30, and my son who is 4 years old enjoying Dukefest 2008. John Schnieder organized it this year at the Atlanta Motor Speedway to bring it back where it all started. Yep Dukes started right here in Georgia, Conyers and Covington to be exact. I stood in amazement that people were standing in 2 to 3 hour lines to meet the cast. Now that wasn't one line that was like six separate lines. Young people, seasoned people, all ages standing in line to meet Bo, Luke, Enos, Daisy, Cletus, Coy, Cooter, etc. All from a TV show that started 30 years ago. Look at that picture again in the background, all of those cars are General Lee's. All looked good, had to be 100 or more of them. Two full days of Dukes of Hazzard! Tell me how many TV shows can pull off a two day festival like this (for ten years btw). I know Star Trek can, but what else? Not much, I'm sure there are some but not many. This was an awesome day for me as I spent it hanging with my dad and my son. Three generations of Good Ole Boys having a good ole time. That's what it is all about, I hope it comes back to Atlanta next year.

No comments: