Monday, May 12, 2008

Bring It On...not really but sort of

For those that read this thing regularly you know I enjoy the Bring It On movies. Well actually I also like watching the real competitions and watching gymnastics. Anyway E! had on a documentary on cheerleading last night which meant I watched it. Well most of it so far as I DVR'd it. During the documentary they talked about kids getting hurt; everything from sprained ankles to torn ACLs to broken limbs to broken necks and even death. They put this spin on it that almost seemed like it was cheerleading to blame. Lets put it in perspective millions of girls cheer around the country and an extremely small percent ever have a serious injury. Now there are additional precautions these girls could take but to blame it all on cheering is insane. People get hurt everyday doing everyday things. I know people who have fallen down stairs, I recently heard on the radio about this lady that broke her ankle getting out of bed, heck when I was 5 I tripped over a dog and broke my leg. Everytime I get in the car I may have a wreck, everytime I walk across the street I may get hit by a car, everytime I walk on the treadmill I may slip, fall, and bust my head open but guess what I still drive, cross the street, and get on the treadmill. I have a 16 year old Goddaughter that has had two torn ACLs from soccer. Crazy huh? I'm just saying if we are responsible we can limit these injuries but we can't live in bubbles. To me if the parent is responsible you put them in camps or whatever that take safety precautions and such. Pay attention to what is going on and then you can minimize your risk. Of course this is coming fom someone that has done a flip from 8 feet in the air through a table.

1 comment:

Andy Shivers said...

Preach on Brother Man!